Monday, January 14, 2008

Soul Food

We all know I love food, and that I love to cook. We also know that I love to jabber on about the inconsequential in life. I have some favorite dishes that I enjoy preparing for myself or for special people in my life.

I have come to a dawning realization, Stir Fry, in a decent wok and a few ingredients is the best thing to ever run into leftovers. I love it, use up food already paid for (i.e. Cheap), you can use almost anything in it (Rice, pasta, any pork, beef, chicken etc.). Also it is a wonderfully quick method, tonight dinner went from the fridge to the plate is probably 15 minutes.

This may not seem to be real cooking to some people, correct there are not any exotic ingredients, not special plating, nothing special about it at all. To me however this is where my cooking soul lives, in the "feed me" zone. I live the place that hunger meets supplies, inspiration, preparation, and experimentation.

I mean it, who else would make spicy left over ham and rise stir fry, leftovers from Jambalaya, Christmas dinner, spices off the counter, and a bit of adventure to see if it worked.

I love to have fun, nothing fancy, nothing too involved, simply dishes that are tasty, easy, and good for the soul. Soul food is the meal that is made from the heart, soul, and love of the cook. I make myself some soul food every time I cook.

Put some Soul into your cooking, enjoy it, love it, have fun.

No comments: