Monday, July 25, 2005

Howdy Folks,

I just got back from the Mission trip I took with my Church, Foundry UMC. WE went to Jaurez Mexico for a week and built 2 houses for families. It was my 3rd time going down and this time something really struck me this year.

First off, getting off the ground was a bit difficult, we flew on Southwest, and they are cheap. They are cheap cause they run a tight, lean ship. This lean running also means that when some flights are delayed, there are no spare pilots available and you get to spend an extra 5 hours in the airport. This can lead to extreme boredom and the quick depletion of books, conversation topics and in some cases, friendships. After we finally got into El Paso, it was not too difficult to get in to Proyecto Abrigo again.

The folks at PA are great, they provide a safe place to stay, sleep, and eat. I personally love all the food they serve us, however some folks just do not like it at all, I think they are crazy.

This week I got to drive our group to the worksite and back several times and it was very interesting, I had never driven in Mexico before and it was a very odd thing to do. The traffic laws seem to be a bit more flexible there, and it took some getting used too. But we made it just fine and no one got injured at all working this week.

I have this to say about the people of Juarez though, they may not have lots of money or stuff, but they sure do have happiness, joy, peace, family and all the things that make life worth living. I think there is more to learn from the people we met than from the work we did. But do not get me wrong, the work was tough but worth it.

Well that is a short recap of the last week, I may post some other stories later.

Have a great week folks.

No comments: